Cover Story: BioPerine®
BioPerine® is a standardized extract from the fruits of Piper nigrum L. (black pepper) or Piper longum L. (long pepper). It contains a minimum piperine content of 95% compared to the 3-9% and 3-5% found in raw forms of Piper nigrum and Piper longum, respectively. BioPerine® may be coadministered with various nutrients for both human and animal health.
Nutritional materials which may be co-administered with Bioperine®, include the following groups :
- Herbal extracts: (for example. Curcuminoids, Boswellia serrata extract, Ashwagandha, Ginkgo biloba extract, capsaicin, bioflavonoids and others)
- Water-soluble vitamins : (for example vitamin B1, vitamin B2, Niacinamide, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, Folic acid and Vitamin C)
- Fat-soluble vitamins : (for example. vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin K)
- Antioxidants : (for example. Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, lycopene, lutein/zeaxanthin, pine bark bioflavonoids complex, germanium, selenium and zinc).
- Amino acids : (for example. lysine, isoleucine, leucine, threonine, valine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, and methionine)
- Minerals: (for example calcium, iron, zinc, vanadium, selenium, chromium, iodine, potassium, manganese, copper and magnesium).
Sabinsa Corporation was granted four US patents and an International (European) patent on the use and manufacturing process for BioPerine® U.S. Patent #s. 6,054,585 (2000), 5,972,382 (1999), 5,744,161 (1998) and 5,536,506 (1996); EP 0810868 (2001).Sabinsa Corporation would like to assure our readers that although a decrease in black pepper production is forecasted this year, this will in no way impact our ability to supply customers with Bioperine. A price increase per kilo of approximately 8 to 10 percent is anticipated.
"The information presented in the "Current Issues" Newsletter from Sabinsa Corporation is for informational purposes only. It is abstracted from web and print media sources. Readers are advised to refer to the original sources for additional information".